A lot of people have been doing this great #thanksaday post either on their blogs, Twitter or Facebook. I’ve really been moved by these. I would have participated myself, but you all know how much I hate numbers and counting.
Thanksgiving means so much to so many in very different ways. To me personally, I have never been a *huge* Thanksgiving person. I mean, I love me some gobble gobble and I am my fathers daughter when I say that I can eat a bag of potatoes by myself on this holiday…and about 6 jars of gravy…but of course, I bring my own Fat Free gray cause that’s how you rock it WW style!!
Here are a just a few simple tips & tricks I try to follow on Turkey Day that help me to enjoy & indulge, but not feel overwhelmed:
- Remember that Thanksgiving is ONE day…not a long weekend. The bites stop there. Don’t turn any indulgence on Thanksgiving day into indulgences the next day and the day after and before you know it, it’s Christmas. It’s ONE day…ONE meal.
- Bring a dish!! Make something that you know will be a “safe” dish for you and that others will love. This may mean that you have to research it and guess what, that’s time that’s kept you busy and away from the kitchen :)
- Some staples you can bring a lighter version of, like gravy!! I am a gravy freak!! I pour it all over my plate. So therefore I bring my own jar of Fat Free gravy in a microwave safe container which I heat up before it’s time to eat. My inlaws do not consider this rude as they understand why. Be proud of all the hard work you have put into looking fabulous!! Bring a lighter gravy, butter, biscuits…any little thing you can that will help.
- Make AT LEAST 1/2 of your plate veggies if possible…squash is so in season right now. Better yet, if you are worried about there not being enough veggies where you are going, make that the “safe” dish that you bring!!
- Exercise before hand!! I know this is difficult if you are the one preparing dinner, but if you can get out, even for 20 minutes, a quick workout before heading into the festivities can make ALL the difference. I never have much time before going to my boyfriends family’s house, but I always make sure to get in at least a 3 mile run before we go.
- If you *want* pie…FUCKING HAVE PIE!!!! Seriously…have a slice of pie. Don’t have 8 slices, but have one. Because you know that at 11:00 that night you are going to regret not having it and god only knows what you will have.
- Forgive yourself. So you went and got that 3rd plate….So you said yes to the 2nd slice of pie….So you ate the entire basket of croissant rolls…FORGIVE yourself!! Like I said earlier, it’s one day. Tomorrow is a new day with new choices. We don’t always make the best choices, and we don’t always try our hardest. It happens. Accept it, forgive it and MOVE ON!!
Don’t fret over Thanksgiving. Try to not go overboard, but enjoy!! If you are a Weight Watcher, you can be the “lazy” Weight Watcher a little bit on this day. The WW police are not going to show up. As long as you pick yourself up the next day and move forward in a healthy path, you are A-OK!! Just don’t break out the size smaller jeans the next day cause, well, you are just setting yourself up for disaster.
Here are some thing I am truly Thankful for:
- A healthy and happy relationship that is full of love
- A handsome & healthy 13 year old boy in my life (Franks son) who makes me say “Where’s your damn coat!?” and makes me feel crazy for saying such things
- My health and the ability to run
- My family (only some of them (the drunk ones) pictured here
8. All of the amazing opportunities I have had this year, and well, the one coming up just might be the one I am proudest of to yet. I really can’t wait to share it will all of you.
9. And last, but certainly not least….I am thankful for all of YOU!!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!