Even if I…
- Don’t know what the BQ (Boston Qualifying) time is for my age bracket.
- Don’t care what the BQ time is for my age bracket.
- Thought that BQ was short for a Boston Dairy Queen for the longest time.
- Take a week off cause I just don’t feel like running damnit!
- Don’t have a HR monitor.
- Thought HR only stood for Human Resources and wondered what they could do for my running??
- Sometimes think that poking myself with a scalding fork sounds like more fun than going for a run.
- Refuse to run in anything below 30 degrees.
- Don’t log 100 miles a week,
- Don’t plan my vacations around races.
- Don’t know what a Fartlek is but it sure makes me giggle!
- Don’t understand what 3 X 400’s and 4 X 600’s mean…I’m not a mathematician for Christ sake!
- Hate “training plans” and refuse to follow them.
- Think the RunKeeper app sucks ass.
- Don’t sit down at the beginning of the year and make my race schedule.
- I skip a couple long runs.
- I don’t get “the runs” on my runs.
- Stop to walk every now and then because it just feels good!
- Have never taken an ice bath, or plan to…EVER!
- Don’t run as many races as I want simply for the fact that I can’t afford them.
- Am pretty sure that drinking beer & eating Cool Ranch Doritos WHILE I’m running would improve my speed!
- Saw this commercial and almost went and bought some…
- See runners out running in –10 temperatures and snowing and think “suckers!”.
- Don’t have the word “Run” “Running” or “Runner” in my Twitter name.
- Don’t get asked by companies to review & giveaway their running-related products (though I’m not against it!).
- Don’t weigh 120 lbs & wear what looks like a bikini while I run.
- Use Nike+ to track my distance & pace….no matter how angry it makes me!
- Never get a chance to run the NYC Marathon, Boston Marathon or other Big City Marathon.
- Wont lose sleep if I never get a chance to run the NYC Marathon, Boston Marathon or other Big City Marathon.
- Think that the NYC Marathon is way cooler than the Boston Marathon.
- Occasionally run in cotton instead of moisture wicking.
- Don’t have the latest & greatest running gear & gadgets.
- Become best friends with the treadmill some months.
- Don’t place in the top anything at one of my races.
- Don’t run further than my friend on Twitter or DailyMile did this week.
OK…you get my point. Of course, not every one of those bullets up there pertain to me but they bring me to this very valid point…
If you run…you are a runner. It doesn’t matter what you look like, what you wear, what you carry with you, or where you’re running. If you get up and get running YOU ARE A RUNNER! Don’t over think it!
It’s my personal belief that unless you are a professional athlete and actually run for a living (think Ryan Hall, Kara Goucher), that you have absolutely NO right to judge other runners in the least bit!
Don’t worry about how others run. Don’t worry about what other runners have. Just get out there AND RUN FOR YOURSELF!!
There was a quote recently on Twitter that really sparked this blog post. So often I see people say “I ONLY ran 2 miles” or “It took me 12 minutes to run almost a mile…ugh!”…Sure, I get that way too, but we have to remember that when we go out to run, there is so much more going on there than just the physical aspect of running. Running means so much more than the movement of putting one foot in front of another. Here’s the quote I’m talking about…
Then, there was this quote today by the genius Bart Yasso and I sums it all up….